Suggestion to force allies to play in the Pacific

Discussion of GameTable Online's version of the classic strategy game. Strategy discussions, feature requests, bug reports all go here!

Should the allies be forced to play in the Pacific?

Yes, and the set up should stay the way it is
7%
Yes, but the fleet at Hawaii should be pulled back to sz 55 (coast of W USA)
7%
Yes, but with some other option
15%
No, I like the game the way it is and I don't care about historical accuracy.
70%

Total votes : 27

Re: Suggestion to force allies to play in the Pacific

Postby kemal81 » Tue May 31, 2011 5:45 am

Huh 2 more scarypants and 1 more braveheart since my last post according to the poll.
(I hope you guys are taking comments like this as a joke)
AKA theTurk
kemal81
Swashbuckler

Postby Sammog » Tue May 31, 2011 6:29 am

A player like yourself I'd expect to be able to pull it off, Demandred. I tend to be playing at odd hours and I've no joy in PBEM so my opponents rarely seem to be the better players. What sort of opening does it require? UK in Borneo or Frendo? 6 USSR troops in Bury? Both of those moves make me think that either Japan has a much easier time against both sides or Germany flattens USSR...
Sammog
Swordsman

Postby Demandred » Tue May 31, 2011 8:58 am

Well, Im not gonna give it all away, but i will say that yes, 6 in bury and 4 in sink is a crucial first step.
Demandred
Swordsman

Postby mmd1 » Tue May 31, 2011 5:42 pm

i would assume the conditions depend on russia not getting dice on R1 against germany too.
mmd1
Swordsman

Postby kemal81 » Tue May 31, 2011 5:50 pm

mmd1 wrote:i would assume the conditions depend on russia not getting dice on R1 against germany too.

I have to admit if Russia gets diced then I do move my fleet to Atlantic. Other time I do that is when Germany does naval purchases. In both cases, after I take care of the business I move my fleet back to Pacific. I have to destroy the Japanese fleet.
AKA theTurk
kemal81
Swashbuckler

Postby VickInABox » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:44 pm

kemal81 wrote:
mmd1 wrote:i would assume the conditions depend on russia not getting dice on R1 against germany too.

I have to admit if Russia gets diced then I do move my fleet to Atlantic. Other time I do that is when Germany does naval purchases. In both cases, after I take care of the business I move my fleet back to Pacific. I have to destroy the Japanese fleet.

This sounds like you would pull your pac fleet to atlantic and then swing it around back to pacific to take care of the japanese fleet.

I would say that that maneuver would take too much time of doing nothing and by then japan would be 45+ ipc. And if there was a threat on the fleets, they would have the money and time to prepare for it. And still have money to pound into africa and/or ussr.
I used to be good at Axis and Allies....like you, then I took an arrow to the knee.
VickInABox
Squire

Postby kemal81 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:20 am

The game is just not fun for me if I don't destroy the Japanese fleet and I am here to have fun. Winning comes later. I don't get a dollar everytime I win a game. And most of the time I did that move I ended up winning the game. Yes I go against Japan with 45+ ipcs but then they steadily start to decline.
AKA theTurk
kemal81
Swashbuckler

Postby ROLLINGTHUNDER » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:09 am

I do not believe there is a need to force USA to play in the Pacific Theatre. However, what would be nice is to have
more people willing to take on that challenge. Personally, I desire a US Pacific Campaign, whether I control USA or
Japan it does make for a more entertaining game. Almost every game played consist of the USA taking the easier
route to victory by joining USSR and UK to crush Berlin while buffering Japan back before they mass enough units
to take Moscow. I m not saying that KGF is stale or boring and certainly the outcome is not predictable, but a
change in strategies could offer more variety to the game. There are many people who play many games and I
would estimate that for the most part it is the same KGF plan, same types of purchases, same types of
movement, etc. and that really is not a bad way to get better at the game and maybe even perfect the plan.
On the other hand, my thought is that with so many games played why not work on a Pacific threat to add to the arsenal and switch the
game up a bit at the same time.
It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get back up. -Vince Lombardi
ROLLINGTHUNDER
Squire

Postby Sammog » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:09 am

The only time I exectuted a KJG I had no need to go naval with either USA or UK. Japan got diced in China (had UK fighter there) and allowed me to take all 3 land provinces the following turn. UK2 factory purchase and US1 chinese factories made this hold easy. Plus I was lucky in Ukraine and he went 7inf, 5 tanks to take back losing 4 men. On the resulting full counter-attack I was planning on retreating after 5+ hits but I got 8 hits and zero casualties... Lost the army I'd moved up to take Ukraine but that didn't matter given the damage it did in its attack and defence. :/
Sammog
Swordsman

Postby rockismyreligion » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:20 pm

Sammog wrote:The only time I exectuted a KJG I had no need to go naval with either USA or UK. Japan got diced in China (had UK fighter there) and allowed me to take all 3 land provinces the following turn. UK2 factory purchase and US1 chinese factories made this hold easy. Plus I was lucky in Ukraine and he went 7inf, 5 tanks to take back losing 4 men. On the resulting full counter-attack I was planning on retreating after 5+ hits but I got 8 hits and zero casualties... Lost the army I'd moved up to take Ukraine but that didn't matter given the damage it did in its attack and defence. :/

Gotta love those warped dice...
My Rockstar Name is Ace Neil.
http://rockstarname.com/index.php

-Founder of Team Rock
-5th Member of Team Kitty
-Member of the Gentlemen's Club
rockismyreligion
Superhero

Postby smalldog47 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:53 am

I vaguely remember way back in 80's I used to go into a gaming store in boston. One day there was an alternative rules for axis and allies and it had basically what some players have described as victory territories. Meaning if japan is ignored and spreads to far they can just claim victory.This forces the allies to worry over places like midway and okinawa way more than with the rules we all know and love.I'll dig around and see if I can lay my hands on that booklet..That is if anybody is interested..
smalldog47
Swordsman

Postby UtzChips » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:00 am

In the revised version, I think that if the Axis wants a fight in the Pacific, then Japan should just not attack Pearl on T1, no matter what the circumstances.

So, If the Brits combine their navy over by Africa & just hit the tranny with a destroyer, or better yet, the fig, Japan should just prepare to do offensive naval battles (other than kill the destroyer if that is what hit the tranny) on R2. That will get your fight in the Pacific.
"I don't need your civil war! It feeds the rich, while it buries the poor. Presidents send 'em off to die as if they get 'em in a human grocery store! Yea, I don't need your civil wars!" 58,209 U.S.A. deaths in Vietnam. Avg age 23.11 yrs
UtzChips
Myrmidon

Postby rockismyreligion » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:22 pm

UtzChips wrote:In the revised version, I think that if the Axis wants a fight in the Pacific, then Japan should just not attack Pearl on T1, no matter what the circumstances.

So, If the Brits combine their navy over by Africa & just hit the tranny with a destroyer, or better yet, the fig, Japan should just prepare to do offensive naval battles (other than kill the destroyer if that is what hit the tranny) on R2. That will get your fight in the Pacific.

Heh, the "piss-about" trigger lives on.
My Rockstar Name is Ace Neil.
http://rockstarname.com/index.php

-Founder of Team Rock
-5th Member of Team Kitty
-Member of the Gentlemen's Club
rockismyreligion
Superhero

Postby UtzChips » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:56 pm

Furthermore, how can you get "historical accuracy" when the Axis & Allies used weapons that killed instead of dice?
"I don't need your civil war! It feeds the rich, while it buries the poor. Presidents send 'em off to die as if they get 'em in a human grocery store! Yea, I don't need your civil wars!" 58,209 U.S.A. deaths in Vietnam. Avg age 23.11 yrs
UtzChips
Myrmidon

Postby smalldog47 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:33 pm

Utz.... The dice represent the fog of war. Things like surprise,bad weather,faulty intel,supply lines ect.. Remember in ww2 you could'nt look at the world map and see where an enemy might attack next,or even where the best place to attack is going to be...The only way to force allies into a pac war is to throw out the current victory cities and go with victory territories(as suggested by somebody else ..was it aagamer?)...It would look something like this..Japan holds all its original territory and any 4of the following 6 india/aussie/nz/H/wake/alaska..if at the end of any J turn these conditions are met J wins the game.This would force usa to fleet up the pac(and right kwik) or lose ..Other powers would have similar victory conditions forcing bloody conflicts all over the globe and not just near berlin.... By the way you might think it would be easy for japan to get 4 out of those 6 and therefor win...but it has to hold all its original territory also so if the usa holds say solomons or okinawa it negates japans victory conditions.... Also I cannot remember if japan would get the victory
(all original+4/6 )after its turn or at the end of the american turn. Probably at the end of the uas turn as is the case now.
smalldog47
Swordsman

PreviousNext

Return to Axis & Allies